In an increasingly globalized world and multicultural Canada, international perspectives and the soft skills acquired through intercultural experiences are in growing demand.
Employers seek graduates who are culturally literate and adaptable, with strong intercultural communications skills and the ability to understand and empathize with different points of view. Experiencing and exploring the world beyond Canada’s borders is therefore critical for Canadian youth and helps them become skilled innovators in a globally connected and competitive job market.
Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) recognizes the multiple benefits of international mobility and is committed to empowering the next generation of Canadians with the skills, experience, and tools they need to become successful global citizens. With the support of Scotiabank, CICan is undertaking a pilot project to offer Canadian students the opportunity to travel, study and work overseas to acquire international and intercultural skills and experiences that benefit their career, their employer, their community and Canadian society.
About the Internships
Beginning in May 2019, two fully funded internships will be available at Scotiabank’s Digital Factory in Mexico City. Applications are now open for the following positions: Front End Software Developer and Graphic Designer. The internships will include a cultural and language course offered through a Mexican post-secondary institution and will last between 12 to 16 weeks. All costs related to travel (airfare, insurance, visas) and accommodation (homestay with Mexican family) will be covered. Students will also receive a stipend of CAN$ 250 /week to cover their cost of living.
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada;
- Be currently registered as a full-time student at a CICan member institution;
- Have completed at least one year (two semesters) of a Diploma, Degree or Post-Graduate Program in a field of study that is relevant to the skills required to successfully complete the internship.
- Be returning to the CICan member institution to complete the program of study, unless it is already completed.
- Be in good academic standing with an overall average of at least 80%;
- Be fluent in English or Spanish (working proficiency in Spanish is desirable);
- Be between the age of 21 and 29 as of May 01, 2019.
Applicants can access the online application form at careerlauncher.ca/scotiabank
Applications are being accepted to Feb 21st at 12:00 AM (midnight) PST and must include the following:
- Copy of official academic transcript;
- The contact information (phone and e-mail) of at least one reference, a faculty member or a previous employer, who can attest to the candidate’s ability to effectively complete the work required of the position to which they are applying;
- CICan will review applications and produce a shortlist of qualified candidates. Scotiabank’s Factory in Mexico City will conduct interviews with shortlisted candidates and make final decisions in late March/early April.
- CICan will work with selected applicants to make all necessary arrangements for the internship and will continue to provide support throughout.