GBP Consulting is working with Cidade Precisa de Você (CPV), a Brazilian NGO dedicated to developing and re-habilitating community and public spaces. CPV was recently awarded a grant from the Brazil Foundation to develop several interventions to help engage people into using the local park, Jardim Damasceno in São Paulo City, Brazil. GBP Consulting (in co-operation with CPV) has been tasked with designing and implementing improvements (or interventions) to the urban landscape in Jardim Damasceno.
GBP Consulting is currently seeking a Waste-to-Energy Intern who will support GBP Consulting’s Director and Project Manager in the research, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the waste-to-energy and composting component of the project.
The position will be based out of GBP Consulting's office (located in Vancouver, BC), with potential to travel to Brazil, if needed.
Duties and responsibilities
- Research appropriate biogas digestor technology, taking into account site conditions
- Evaluate environmental impacts of planned interventions and propose sustainable design and construction solutions
- Develop materials budget, source materials and supplies
- Review environmental plans and laws for the area, as well as propose interventions, ensuring they are in-line with said laws and regulations
- Assess natural conditions and assist in the coordination and supervision of site preparation projects
- Assist in the coordination and supervision of biogas digestor construction
- Assist in organics composting workshop curriculum development and delivery
- Coordinate efforts with other team members
- Develop project monitoring reports
Knowledge and skills
- Knowledge of organics composting practices and techniques and waste-to-energy technologies
- Strong technology research abilities, evaluation, data analysis and writing skills
- Experience in the area of monitoring, evaluation, research and learning (MERL) to support M&E activities
- Experience in project report production and delivery
- Experience in delivering adult and youth training and education
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Good organization skills and ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Willingness to travel
- Ability to speak Portuguese (Brazilian) is an asset
- Degree or diploma in civil engineering, environmental engineering, environmental science, or other related subject (other degrees may be considered if skillset deemed acceptable)
First aid certification would be desirable
Career-Launcher Internships are funded by the Government of Canada under the Youth Employment Strategy. For program criteria information visit their website.
Qualified interns are:
- Between the ages of 15-30 (inclusive) at the start of the internship
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons granted refugee status in Canada*
- Legally allowed to work according to the relevant provincial and Canadian legislation and regulations
- Not receiving employment insurance during their internship
- Available to work for at least six months
*Refugee protection must be conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Persons awaiting refugee status, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, student visa or work visa, are ineligible to participate in a Youth Employment Strategy initiative.