Innovate By Day is seeking a dynamic UX/UI Designer to join our team on a six-month full-time contract to assist with improving the design of Innovate By Day’s website, as well as websites and apps for our clients.
The UX/UI Designer will be tasked with the optimization and digitalization of Innovate By Day’s online public persona through its website and social media. Responsibilities include analysis, market research, wireframe creation, and user interface design, prototyping both desktop and mobile applications and websites, and performing quality assurance at various stages of development.
For Innovate By Day, and client projects, they will be responsible for conducting and analyzing primary and secondary research (such as user research interviews). Creating designs that speak to the target audiences, keeping in mind both aesthetics and usability. This will include evaluating market research, competitive analysis, and user flows.
Duties and responsibilities
- Conduct competitive analyses of other websites that operate in the same space
- Gather and evaluate user requirements
- Illustrate design ideas using storyboards, process flows and sitemaps
- Design graphic user interface elements, like menus, tabs and widgets
- Build page navigation buttons and search fields
- Develop UI mockups and prototypes that clearly illustrate how sites function and look.
- Prepare and present rough drafts to internal teams and key stakeholders.
- Identify and troubleshoot UX problems (e.g. responsiveness)
- Conduct layout adjustments based on user feedback
- Adhere to style standards on fonts, colours and images
- Work independently and as part of a team
Knowledge and skills
- Proven work experience as a UI/UX Designer or similar role
- Portfolio of design projects
- Experience wireframe and mockup tools and design principles
- Up-to-date knowledge of design software
- Passionate about human-centred design.
- Team spirit; strong communication skills to collaborate with various stakeholders
- Excellent time-management skills
Post-secondary degree or diploma in UX Design and Development, or equivalent training
No certifications are required
Career-Launcher Internships are funded by the Government of Canada under the Youth Employment and Skills Strategy. For program criteria information visit their website.
Qualified interns are:
- Post-secondary graduates – this is not a requirement for residents of the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut applying for internships in those territories
- Underemployed (employed below their level of education or work part-time)
- Between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the internship
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons granted refugee status in Canada*
- Legally allowed to work according to the relevant provincial and Canadian legislation and regulations
- Available to work for at least six months
- Not employees of the hiring employer prior to the start of their internship (does not apply to previous coop students or student interns)
*Refugee protection must be conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Persons awaiting refugee status, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, student visa or work visa, are ineligible to participate in a Youth Employment and Skills Strategy initiative.