GBP Consulting is working with Cidade Precisa de Você (CPV), a Brazilian NGO based in São Paulo, dedicated to developing and re-habilitating community and public spaces. CPV was recently awarded a grant from the Brazil Foundation to develop several interventions to improve the local park, Jardim Damasceno, and engage people in its use. GBP Consulting (in co-operation with CPV) has been tasked with designing and implementing improvements (or interventions) to the urban landscape in Jardim Damasceno.
GBP Consulting is currently seeking an Urban Agriculture Intern who will support GBP Consulting’s Director and Project Manager in the research, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the urban agricultural component of the project, which includes urban farming and green roof construction demonstration projects, delivery of educational workshops and planting of trees and vegetation in the recently built park and surrounding neighbourhood.
The position will be based out of GBP Consulting's office (located in Vancouver, BC), with potential to travel to Brazil, if needed.
Duties and responsibilities
- Review environmental plans and laws for the area, as well as propose interventions, ensuring they are in line with said laws and regulations
- Assess site conditions and assist in the coordination and supervision of site preparation
- Assist in the coordination and supervision of planting projects
- Assist in workshop curriculum development and delivery
- Coordinate efforts with other team members
- Develop project monitoring reports
Knowledge and skills
- Knowledge of permaculture, urban agriculture, reforestation practices and techniques
- Experience in the area of monitoring, evaluation, research and learning (MERL) to support M&E activities
- Strong research, evaluation, data analysis and writing skills
- Experience in project report production and delivery
- Experience in delivering adult and youth training and education
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Good organization skills and ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Willingness to travel
- Ability to speak Portuguese (Brazilian) is an asset
- Degree or diploma in natural resource management, agroforestry, biology, environmental science, or other related subject (other degrees may be considered if skillset deemed acceptable)
First aid certification would be desirable
Career-Launcher Internships are funded by the Government of Canada under the Youth Employment Strategy. For program criteria information visit their website.
Qualified interns are:
- Between the ages of 15-30 (inclusive) at the start of the internship
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons granted refugee status in Canada*
- Legally allowed to work according to the relevant provincial and Canadian legislation and regulations
- Not receiving employment insurance during their internship
- Available to work for at least six months
*Refugee protection must be conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Persons awaiting refugee status, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, student visa or work visa, are ineligible to participate in a Youth Employment Strategy initiative.