The Senior Data Scientist Machine Learning Specialist will report to the CTO. They will contribute to the development of various sensing solutions designed for the food and agriculture sectors. Savormetrics Inc. is an industry leader in rapid testing technology and shelf life extension. Our sensing devices are optical based and are used to detect quality characteristics in food both biophysical and biochemical. Our software applications make our devices smarter and easier to use while providing intelligence to address customers’ specific needs.
The successful individual will immediately contribute to addressing the software needs concerning machine learning development. Involvement in the design and development of any future technologies with a focus on the design, build, test, implementation, and maintenance of agile and efficient cross-platform data acquisition and analytics is strongly required. We are an innovative and creative company that run many "moonshot" projects to develop technologies that do not exist yet. We promote continuous learning in a dynamic and flexible work environment. More importantly, we set visionary goals, and we are passionate about building industry defining, impactful products for the marketplace.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the general direction of the CTO, the Data Scientist is responsible to:
• Participate and take a leading role in analytics software design and development requirements,
• Develop machine learning algorithms that include but are not limited to artificial neural networks, image processing, pattern recognition, statistical modeling and deep learning for various customer applications,
• Propose, design, and implement analytics software solutions for select sensors and sensing products,
• Propose, design, and implement data collection and interpretation software solutions for select sensors and sensing products,
• Build necessary databases of various classification categories which will serve as an input to the machine learning procedures,
• Understand overall customer product requirements and how they relate to software design,
• Using research/customer data sets, develop new algorithms for increased accuracy and efficiency for hardware devices,
• Create, organize, manage and analyse large datasets for R&D and product development,
• Ensure appropriate software platforms are used to complement the hardware for optimal performance, meeting customer requirements,
• Learn customer requirements and rapidly build advanced domain knowledge of the food sector,
• Design, execute and report on commercial testing,
• Provide support in development and participation in workshops, conferences and other events, working with internal and external stakeholders,
• Second line support for customer issues,
• Effective communication with all members of the team,
• Fulfil additional work-related duties as required / assigned,
• Demonstrate commitment to professional development,
• Promote the core values of Savormetrics.
Knowledge and skills
• Demonstrate entrepreneurial aptitude,
• Capable of quickly learning unfamiliar code bases and algorithms,
• Ability to adapt and perform in a fast-paced and fluid environment of a start-up,
• Possess technical aptitude and analytical abilities,
• Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills,
• Highly professional communicator, oral and written,
• Ability to multi task effectively,
• Eager to learn and contribute in a team setting.
• Expertise in machine learning algorithms includes but not limited to artificial neural networks, image processing, pattern recognition, computer vision, deep learning, statistical modeling etc.;
• Strong understanding and extensive experience with one of C/C++, Python, OpenCV, Labview;
• Experience with open source toolkits such as Caffe, OpenCL, OpenGL, etc.;
• The ability to aptly read and implement Matlab code in C is strongly desired;
• Capable of creating high-quality, efficient, and well-tested software.
• Initiative and independence – the ability to take appropriate action and anticipate team needs,
• Objectivity, integrity – the ability to seek and weigh opinions and evidence – compromising where necessary on ways and means but not on principles or goals,
• Professionalism – operate at the highest level of professionalism with colleagues, clients and all other stakeholders,
• Problem solving - ability to see multiple ways of tackling a problem and think “outside of the box”,
• Diplomacy and tact – the ability to deal effectively with colleagues and stakeholders,
• Leadership potential – capacity and aptitude for leading a team, taking charge and motivating team members,
• High energy –capacity to work effectively in a rapid pace, tight deadline ad hoc work environment,
• Team-player – is flexible and enjoys working in a team environment,
• Positive attitude,
• Result driven,
• Entrepreneurial spirit.
• High functioning MASC or PhD degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related discipline required;
• At minimum 5 years of hands-on industry related experience with: machine learning, artificial neural networks, deep learning, statistical learning, pattern recognition, image processing for information extraction and interpretation (i.e. chemometrics);
• Knowledge of image processing techniques;
• Experience with software / hardware interfacing would be an asset;
• Experience in optics / scientific instrumentation space is beneficial.