Aerlift is seeking someone versed in electrical and software engineering to help develop and run it’s RFID-based tracking system for reusable items in hospitals. Currently the system is in a trial phase with 3 units built and is being tested with customers alongside a preliminary version of the supporting cloud dashboard. The new employee will be intimately involved in the growth of this new program which aims to support hospitals in effectively managing reusable goods, thereby improving waste manage and ultimately the hospital's ecological footprint.
The new employee will participate in client engagement to better understand their needs and subsequently the design criteria that will inform idea generation and implementation approaches. As such they will spearhead new feature development on the cloud dashboard including analytics, auto-generation of reports, UI improvements among other things. The new employee will also be responsible for combining the current electronics into one PCB design, which will reduce the device cost and improve manufacturability. In the immediate future we are looking for someone with technical expertise to help develop the product, but long term we would encourage the individual to assume responsibility of managing the overall product line.
Duties and responsibilities
The employee may be responsible for some to all of the following elements. It is expected that the employee engage in at least some non-technical client-facing responsibilities.
Technical aspects of the job:
- Basic PCB design with some surface-mount device components
- Continue to develop cloud dashboard and backend infrastructure
- Manage databases
- Server side programming to sort/sift/analyze data from hospitals
- Front-end user interface development
Non-technical aspects of the job:
- Work directly with hospitals to understand their needs
- Develop features requested by users
- Provide technical assistance to customer (i.e. Hospital IT department)
- Assist the company in assessing overall needs of hospitals to help come up with new products / improvements
- Administrative management of the product line
- Handle manufacturing and production logistics of the product
- Support any intellectual property related developments
Knowledge and skills
It is preferable that the employee have some experience or exposure to some of the following skills and any remaining gaps in knowledge can be filled over the course of the internship.
- PCB work
- Circuit design tools like Eagle, KiCad
- Ability to assemble and test the design
- Comfort engaging with vendors & manufactures to produce product/prototypes
- Experience with hardware/mechanical design for device enclosure is a plus
- Cloud-based work: services like AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Azure
- Database work: NoSQL, Google Cloud Firestore
- Front end work: HTML, Flask, JS
Bachelor’s degree in electrical/computer engineering.
Career-Launcher Internships are funded by the Government of Canada under the Youth Employment Strategy. For program criteria information visit their website.
Qualified interns are:
- Post-secondary students and graduates
- No more than 30 years of age at the start of the internship
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons granted refugee status in Canada*
- Legally allowed to work according to the relevant provincial and Canadian legislation and regulations
- Available to work for at least six months
- Not previous participants of a federal youth employment program
- Not employees of the hiring employer prior to the start of their internship (does not apply to previous coop students or student interns)
*Refugee protection must be conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Persons awaiting refugee status, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, student visa or work visa, are ineligible to participate in a Youth Employment Strategy initiative.