About the Position
Since 2014, PATIO Interactive has been creating unique user experiences with new technology and disruptive ideas. As part of a growing design and development team in downtown Toronto, this is a ground floor opportunity with plenty of growth potential.
Your role, first and foremost, is to lead and grow with our mobile development team to produce awesome and robust experiences. Beyond a strong foundation in mobile development, we’re looking for someone who loves exploring, learning and creating with new technology. Our industry moves really fast so it’s not what you know, it’s whether you can adapt and grow.
You are an adaptable developer who can work with our team to get things done quickly. You’re excited about creating software across a wide range of mediums. As part of a small team, you should first and foremost have a positive attitude, enjoy learning about and absorbing new ideas.
Want to apply?
If you’re interested in applying, please check out PATIO Interactive's website for more about us, then submit your resume to us here. Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview, but we will do our best to get back to every qualifying candidate.
*PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE A COVER LETTER THAT OUTLINES THE FOLLOWING*
● INTRO: A quick blurb about yourself and why you think you fit into this fast-moving startup environment.
● PASSION: Why you love UX design
● GROWTH/SKILL: We're looking for someone who's willing to grow with us. What makes you interested in working with our company, and what unique skills do you bring to the table?
● CULTURE: We celebrate our team’s creativity. In what aspects of your life are you creative?
Extras to include:
● Portfolio pieces
● Any links you might want to share
● Anything else you think might be relevant
Please note that due to the volume of applicants, resumes submitted without a cover letter (as requested above) will likely not be reviewed.
Duties and responsibilities
You in a nutshell
● You love hacking, exploring and building
● You aim to constantly improving yourself and your methods
● You play with technology in your spare time and you love thinking about the possibilities
● You have a mindset for collaboration and teamwork
● You like experimenting and going down the Google rabbit hole to figure something out
● You are detail oriented (you don’t just say you are for interviews)
● You like the idea of working at a fast-paced startup and are adaptable to many situations and roles
● You want to develop scalable tech products and experiences
● You’re a hacker. You don’t see problems, only opportunities (AKA “Challenge Accepted”).
● You’re an FTP (Follow-Through-Person) and a self-starter who takes ownership in the work you do
Knowledge and skills
● 2+ years both iOS and Android native app development experiences.
● 1+ Experience with Android Studio, Java and/or Kotlin.
● 1+ Experience with Objective-C/Swift
● 2+ years of full-stack development
● Experience publishing applications to Google Play store, Apple app store or an enterprise app store
● RESTful APIs, Microservices, webservices, SOA design and technical implementations
● A thorough understanding of Object-Oriented Programming, MVC (and iOS application architecture for iOS mobile developer)
● Experience with relational databases (MS SQL Server) and exposure to no-SQL data stores: MongoDB, ElasticSearch as well as caching stores (Redis)
● Methodology: Agile, Iterative, TDD
● Demonstrated ability to make design/enhancement recommendations/decisions for multiple applications/technologies, mentor on standards and coding practices and debug very complex or urgent problems
● Ability to resolve integration issues to guarantee solution conformance to requirements and engineering limitations.
● Excellent communication and collaboration skills
● Algorithm design and optimization
● Experience in Mobile Hybrid application development Cordova, Ionic, React Native, or other web app/hybrid application frameworks
● Mobile debugging and troubleshooting techniques
● Knowledge of mobile app Security BestPractices
● Experience with XML or JSON.
● Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
● Strong leadership and communication skills
● Experience reading api documentation
● Able to troubleshoot problems, replicating issues from bug reports.
● Experience with MVVM architecture design or similar.
● Interest in Virtual and Augmented Reality
Degree in computer science, computer engineering or equivalent.
Career-Launcher Internships are funded by the Government of Canada under the Youth Employment and Skills Strategy. For program criteria information visit their website.
Qualified interns are:
- Post-secondary graduates – this is not a requirement for residents of the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut applying for internships in those territories
- Underemployed (employed below their level of education or work part-time)
- Between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the internship
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons granted refugee status in Canada*
- Legally allowed to work according to the relevant provincial and Canadian legislation and regulations
- Not receiving employment insurance during their internship
- Available to work for at least six months
- Not previous participants of a federal youth employment program
- Not employees of the hiring employer prior to the start of their internship (does not apply to previous coop students or student interns)
*Refugee protection must be conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Persons awaiting refugee status, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, student visa or work visa, are ineligible to participate in a Youth Employment and Skills Strategy initiative.