This position will assist The Office for Sustainability (OfS) at Sheridan College in the engagement and promotion of the Mission Zero initiatives as well as in the implementation and development of our Zero Waste program. This position will be involved in the design, planning and support of community events, including Repair Café, campus cleanup days, e-waste collection days, planting and garden maintenance, among others. This position will also be responsible for recruiting, organizing and supporting the Mission Zero volunteers for our outreach activities across the campus. This position will be based in the Oakville campus but required to work in all three campuses.
At the Office for Sustainability (OfS), we aim to foster an institutional culture defined by informed and responsible decision making that reflects the crucial balance between economic, social and environmental priorities, and have built our leadership and reputation by using our campuses as ‘living laboratories’ for sustainability transition, curricular innovation and interdisciplinary teaching and learning.
Built on 50 years of Sheridan programming and applied solutions expertise, our approach to sustainable practice combines a powerful innovation culture with the inescapable scientific boundaries which define human need and dwindling resources.
Mission Zero is Sheridan’s framework for institution-wide sustainability initiatives. It is an ambitious mandate to re-envision the College’s energy future, make significant reductions in its institutional footprint, set breakthrough performance targets, and begin developing highly integrated sustainability, energy and climate curriculum across faculties.
It is guided by the College’s Office for Sustainability and represents operational and curricular goals, driven by Sheridan’s Sustainability Policy. Mission Zero embodies the journey toward transformational systemic change and accelerates the creation of a campus-wide sustainability culture.
Two current strategic plans define the mission:
The Integrated Energy and Climate Master Plan (IECMP) aims to decrease the institutions overall energy and carbon emissions by 50% by 2020 through focused investment over the next 5-7 years.
The Zero Waste Sheridan (ZWS) plan will help guide the institution to becoming a zero waste campus by 2020
Duties and responsibilities
• organize and support the planning and promotion of environmental community events on campus
• recruit, coordinate and support the Mission Zero volunteers for our outreach events across the campus
• create and implement marketing strategies about our Mission Zero initiatives to reach out to the campus audience during Orientation and throughout the semester
• create interactive design to encourage waste reduction and energy conservation
• design posters and online materials to promote programs, events and campaigns
• collect data for the Zero Waste program for monitoring progress and sharing of results
• collaborate with different groups, such as Residence, Student Union, and Food Services, in the implementation and promotion of the Zero Waste program
• develop solutions for waste reduction in the daily operation of the campus.
• create and update the content of the website as well as to prepare written material for college e-newsletter
• other duties as needed
Knowledge and skills
• be knowledgeable about current local and global sustainability issues, including resource conservation, environmental stewardship, climate change, etc.
• demonstrate a keen interest in the waste issues. Some research experience in the waste issues is assets.
• be passionate about promoting sustainability and eager to build a sustainable community
• experience in planning for environmental community events and workshops
• experience in developing and implementing marketing strategies to reach out to the campus audience
• possess strong data management and analytic skills
• have excellent communication skills and organization skills
• possess strong graphic skills for creating print and digital design
• be experienced in maintaining WordPress website
• be familiar with using Microsoft Excel and other database software
• preferably have volunteering experience in sustainability initiatives
• have good leadership skills and collaboration skills; enjoy interacting with others and customer-friendly
• will be based in the Oakville campus and required to work in all three campuses
Bachelors degree from a recognized institution in Environmental Studies, Marketing, Education, or a related field