MapYourProperty is an Environmental and Land Use data intelligence startup that focuses on working with the environment and hydrology professional firms, government agencies and real estate developers to identify areas of conservation and natural resource protection. MapYourProeprty is backed by US and Canadian venture capital and support by one of the largest environmental and engineering firms in the world.
The Junior Land Use Planner position will help enhance and improve MapYourPropety environmental platform. The key focus to help identify wetlands, natural heritage, and biodiversity offset under the Ontario legislation. This will help provide a streamline natural resources and heritage assessment for government agencies, non-profit, and land development and aggregate sector into three simple clicks. The position will further enhance our web tool platform that will be free to government and non-profit for policy, conservation strategy, and also free for the public like rural farmers or landowners to understand key soil and forest features running through their property.
The candidate will be working with our Planning team including the Chief Information Officer and President, whom both decades working with geospatial data and land use planning and previously worked for the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment. The successful candidate will develop a strong knowledge of natural resource features, environmental regulation, and land use planning under our executive team mentorship.
Duties and responsibilities
The Junior Land User planner will help develop a mapping system that can help wetland, biodiversity, and natural heritage under the Environmental Protection Act and other Ontario legislation. Over a 6 month period, the job position will develop a hotspot mapping system with scoring that will allow Non-Government Organization, Charity, Conservation Authority, and city to identify land for restoration to natural state using offsets or "netgain". All land will be rating using multiple regression scoring.
The Junior Land Use Planner would be speaking to Duck Unlimited, Natural Conservation Authority and Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources to improve our offsets and natural mapping. The Planner will publish this new mapping system wand by the end of the intern and publish his/her finding for public and stakeholder use. The planner would have an interest in GIS, land use planning, and environmental and natural resource sciences.
Knowledge and skills
- Improve current MapYourProperty and Ontario mapping data including wetlands, woodlands, rivers, and natural heritage
- Knowledge of the environment and land use planning legislation and policies
- Skills to develop a hotspot mapping system with scoring based on multiple indicators using ArcGIS Pro, QGIS desktop software
- Skills in ArcModel, ArcPython or multivariable analysis or QGIS/Grass
- An understanding or interest in an online mapping system including ArcGIS Online, Mapbox.com, or Google Maps. MYP goal is to publish these for key stakeholder investing in biodiversity offsets (i.e. aggregate resource company offsets their mining or aggregate extraction and conducting restoration at a different location)
- Ability to meet with environmental or biodiversity experts or representatives in the Greater Toronto Hamilton Area in a Post Covid-19 environment or by video conference if the Covid-19 crisis still exists.
- Currently in their last year or recent graduate from a University
- The degree should be in Urban Planning, Geographical Planning, or Environmental Science