Pond Technologies was founded in Toronto, Canada on May 2007. Our mission is to use microalgae, the original superfood and the planet’s first carbon storage technology, to solve some of the largest problems facing the world today.
Pond is a carbon capture company. We have developed a universal algae platform that provides optimal growth conditions for virtually any algae strain by capturing industrial CO2 emissions. Pond has also partnered with St Marys Cement and Markham District Energy to prove that algae can be used to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions from industrial facilities, transforming these emissions into valuable bioproducts including biofuels, fertilizers, and animal feeds.
Pond is also a nutrition company, using our technology to make algae superfoods. Today, microalgae are recognized as an excellent source of nutrients, including essential fatty acids, essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Conceive and run experiments to optimize algal growth, e.g. optimize illumination parameters, medium constituents, flow rates, or species grown.
2. Responsible for the growth and maintenance of algal cultures.
3. Develop standard protocols (e.g. sterile technique) for strong and consistent algal growth.
4. Develop and carry out measurement protocols to accurately determine the biological and chemical state of a culture and its medium.
5. Responsible for maintaining inventory of laboratory supplies and that the laboratory equipment is in good working order.
6. Research, develop, and test new methods for growing and utilizing algae.
7. Document research, experiments, and findings so that interested parties (e.g. co-workers, outside organizations) remain up-to-date and informed.
8. Assist in product testing and produce test reports.
9. Responsible to protect own health and safety by working in compliance with established safe work practices and procedures.
10. Ensures that his/her workstation and laboratory/experiments are kept safe, neat and clean at all times.
11. Performs other various duties as required by his/her designate
Knowledge and skills
- Familiar with fundamentals of microbiology
- Knowledge and previous work experience in microscopy, cultivation of microorganisms and cell culture
- Knowledge and previous experience in managing laboratory operations in a GLP/GMP environment
- Knowledge and experience with applying aseptic techniques and SOPs
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal), organizational skills and detail oriented
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Able to work independently with minimum supervision and/or part of a productive team
- Ability to lift up to 20 lbs
- Must be able to work on weekends and be flexible with shift change
Possess a post-secondary education and/or equivalent related work experience in a relevant field (e.g. microbiology, biology, life science, health science)