iaconicDesign is a technology startup focused on developing Smart Home products and solutions both internally and for external clients.
We are hiring an IoT Systems Engineer experienced in wireless technologies and IoT to join our team. This is a key role within our organization, responsible for translating customer requirements into functional prototypes including all of the technical work required to identify and source suitable components (microcontrollers, sensors, power solutions), integrate said components into proof-of-concept breadboard circuits, develop all necessary firmware to achieve desired functionality and design and assemble prototypes PCBs ready to integrate into a final working solution.
This is an exciting position for a motivated individual to play a key role in developing new IoT products from initial concept through to final implementation.
Duties and responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities will include leading all aspects of the design and development of Internet of Things solutions, including:
- Evaluating and selecting suitable microcontrollers;
- Evaluating and selecting wireless modules (i.e. WiFi, Bluetooth, BLE, LoRa, GNSS, GPS, LTE-M, etc.);
- Evaluating and selecting wired network modules (i.e. Ethernet, USB, etc.);
- Developing power solutions (i.e. battery-based, mains-powered, power-over-ethernet, solar, energy harvesting, etc.);
- Sourcing and evaluating sensors (i.e. motion, sound, video, vibration, light, etc.);
- Building breadboard systems for evaluating and testing interoperability of chosen system components;
- Developing embedded firmware for individual system components and fully-integrated systems;
- Designing PCBs implementing working breadboard circuit designs;
- Assembling and testing PCB prototypes;
- Working with product managers to fully document all designs for transfer to contract manufacturers.
Knowledge and skills
- Some hardware design experience at a product development company desired;
- Proven capabilities in design and troubleshooting of analog and digital electronic circuits including PCB design;
- Proficiency with schematic capture, circuit simulation, and PCB layout software;
- Firmware programming in C and script programing in Python;
- Experience with ultra-low power electronics including power optimization both in FW and HW;
- Experience with various standard interfaces such as DDR4, Ethernet, USB, SPI, I2C, PCIe and NVMe;
- Experience with WiFi, Bluetooth, LoRa network protocols;
- Experience dealing with standards such as IEC 61010, FCC, CE;
- Familiarity with revision control (SVN or Git);
- Strong organizational and documentation skills;
- Proven ability to communicate technical information clearly with both technical and non-technical audience.
Bonus points for experience with:
- Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud services;
- IOS and Android app development;
- Machine learning and AI.
Degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a Technology Diploma with relevant industry experience
This opportunity is offered as part of the Government of Canada’s Digital Skills for Youth Program.