Our ocean can teem with life and be radically more exciting and valuable if we make collaborative and real-time discoveries. eOceans is actively building the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of sustaining life on Earth. For the oceans. For us.
Full-Stack Developer (React, React Native, Node
If you are an avid ocean explorer – field scientist, sailing, scuba diving, fishing, surfing, kayaking, for example – you’ll be motivated to get it working perfectly for you, too! Our software is used by ocean explorers around the world, including scientists, citizen scientists, and people whose livelihoods depend on the sea. Current and future generations.
You’ll interface primarily with our Full Stack Developer, Quantitative Ecologist, and Lead Scientist/CEO who is a global expert in field of crowdsourced ocean data.
If you are organized, like to plan before you code, are driven, curious, and resourceful; you can easily pickup a stack, improve efficiency and stability, and quickly move through build, measure, learn cycle; love designing and building mobile applications, web applications, and dashboards that the public will love; want to work in a space where experimentation is encouraged; need to create great products and features that make the world a better place; and want to help the oceans and coastal communities be more sustainable and resilient as part of your day job, contact Christine (christine@eOceans.co) now!
Duties and responsibilities
- Understand and build or upgrade existing stack for speed, and work with the team to understand the current system and where it needs to go.
- Research and detail what's needed and provide options for new features, suitable design elements used for similar systems, and review technical limitations to upgrade existing UI
- Prototype and test new features
- Implement releases early and test often
- Develop entity-relationship diagrams and solution document with proposed and prioritized future developments
Knowledge and skills
- AWS experience
- Agile Delivery Methodology
- Generalist and eager to jump into new projects
- Keen to build customer-facing products and automated processes
- Self-motivated, proactive, and a team player
- *** You must be driven to understand the problem, and to help communities better understand, mitigate, and adapt to ocean change on local and global scales.
Computer science degree, diploma, or equivalent. Ideally with some industry or self-directed results to show competency and ability.
Career-Launcher Internships are funded by the Government of Canada under the Youth Employment Strategy. For program criteria information visit their website.
Qualified interns are:
- Post-secondary students and graduates
- No more than 30 years of age at the start of the internship
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons granted refugee status in Canada*
- Legally allowed to work according to the relevant provincial and Canadian legislation and regulations
- Available to work for at least six months
- Not previous participants of a federal youth employment program
- Not employees of the hiring employer prior to the start of their internship (does not apply to previous coop students or student interns)
*Refugee protection must be conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Persons awaiting refugee status, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, student visa or work visa, are ineligible to participate in a Youth Employment Strategy initiative.