Squiggle Park is one of the most innovative and fastest growing EDU-gaming companies in North America. With a mission to improve global literacy through play, our team is passionate about building a world leading company and making a difference in the world.
We are looking for a Full Stack Developer to join our team. This is a 6-month contract with the potential to become full-time upon completion of the contract.
By joining our growing development team, you will have the opportunity to work on and lead the development of strategic features in both our teacher dashboard and game. Due to our rapid growth, you will work on interesting and complex problems that will enable us to scale and ensure our users have an amazing experience using our platform. As this is a unique startup environment, you will also have the opportunity to experiment and execute your own initiatives in order to improve current processes and strategies.
Duties and responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities:
- Work as part of a scrum-based Agile development team
- Contribute to all phases of the development lifecycle
- Write clean, well designed code, both frontend and backend
- Take part in team discussions and technical decision-making process
- Follow industry best practices
- Perform usability testing on interfaces and web applications
- Ship working code and meet deadlines
- Be a crucial part of the company and contribute directly to it’s growth
- Work independently with little direction and consistently make a superior product
- Have a can-do attitude - energy, drive, and determination to finish a project
- Maintain a willingness to learn and apply new knowledge and skills
- Have strong communication skills; ability to convey technical details in plain English including the pros and cons of taking various approaches
- Travel as required
Knowledge and skills
You have experience with:
- Node JS + Express
- Unix Terminal
- HTML 5
- Responsive design
- Cross-browser compatibility
- RESTful services - integrating with 3rd party APIs, as well as writing your own
- Architecting full stack web and mobile applications
- Understanding of ES6 standard
Bonus if you have experience with:
- Unity 3D / game development
- Continuous integration and automated deployments (Jenkins CI)
- Kid's games and interactive media
- startup: 1 year (Preferred)
- software development: 2 years (Preferred)
No certifications required.
Career-Launcher Internships are funded by the Government of Canada under the Youth Employment Strategy. For program criteria information visit their website.
Qualified interns are:
- Starting the internship within two years of receiving their post-secondary diploma
- Underemployed (employed below their level of education or work part-time)
- No more than 30 years of age at the start of the internship
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons granted refugee status in Canada*
- Legally allowed to work according to the relevant provincial and Canadian legislation and regulations
- Not receiving employment insurance during their internship
- Available to work for at least six months
*Refugee protection must be conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Persons awaiting refugee status, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, student visa or work visa, are ineligible to participate in a Youth Employment Strategy initiative.