Engineering or Technology Intern for York Metal Products engineering group. York is a leader in advanced manufacturing specializing in environmentally friendly technology product development and manufacture. York’s products and processes reduce manufacturing costs compared to conventional processes by up to 85% thus reducing the carbon footprint for various processes. More importantly, York's primary product is exhaust emission reduction equipment, specifically diesel particulate filters, DPF, components and assemblies. The items that York produces are used by Tier 1 automotive suppliers for EPA, Environmental Protection Agency, mandated products that reduce emissions from class 6 and class 8 trucks by over 90% making diesel fuel one of the cleanest energy forms available.
York's growth curve is very positive particularly over the next few years with numerous new large contracts and York requires at least one new team member at this time to take on the role of an engineering or technology intern with primary work involving drawing creation, updating and modification. Duties and responsibilities are listed below.
Duties and responsibilities
- To become a dynamic member of a fast growing company in the advanced manufacturing field of CNC roll forming, laser welding, 3D flow forming, CNC metal spinning and other related activities such as CNC punching, CNC braking, CNC machining and various assembly operations.
- Create, update, modify drawings using AutoCAD Inventor for the engineering and production groups primarily, 90%+, for high tech exhaust emission reduction systems.
- Work will involve blank drawings, part drawings, tool drawings and assemblies primarily in the manufacture of diesel particulate filter containers, DPF, and assemblies.
- Provide technical support for the production and quality assurance departments.
- Provide technical support to design and determine tolerances for engineering and machining parts and drawings.
- Assist with the development of machining drawings for CNC milling and lathe operations
- Learn and then contribute to the development of processes relating to 3D flow forming and CNC rolling laser welding of precision diameter cylinders used in the exhaust systems of every type of diesel engine produced or in use in North America, Europe and Australia
- In general to perform other duties as required to learn the business and to help the company achieve its goals.
Knowledge and skills
- AutoCAD Inventor training and demonstrable proficiency
- Mechanical engineering or technology education and possibly experience gained during summers or work terms while at school
- Quality assurance experience would be an asset
- Excel and Word proficiency
- Knowledge or experience with some form of MRP program - York uses a hybrid version of Job Boss
- Must be a team player and work well with others
- Be willing to work on any machine primarily to gain first hand knowledge of its operation
Regular work hours but flexibility is also required depending on work load and project activity
- Mechanical engineering degree or
- Mechanical technology degree or certificate
- Mechanical technician diploma or certificate
Engineering or technologist or technician or AutoCAD Draftsman certification
Career-Launcher Internships are funded by the Government of Canada under the Youth Employment Strategy. For program criteria information visit their website.
Qualified interns are:
- Between the ages of 15-30 (inclusive) at the start of the internship
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons granted refugee status in Canada*
- Legally allowed to work according to the relevant provincial and Canadian legislation and regulations
- Not receiving employment insurance during their internship
- Available to work for at least six months
*Refugee protection must be conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Persons awaiting refugee status, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, student visa or work visa, are ineligible to participate in a Youth Employment Strategy initiative.