Energy Modeler-Designer Internship in Ottawa
Established in 2005, Design HVAC Experts Inc is a residential HVAC design firm that offers independent design and consulting services to heating contractors, builders, architects and home owners all over Ontario. As Design Experts continues to attain new clients and expand into new markets, we are seeking an Energy Modeler and Heat Loss/Gain Designer to join our virtual team.
The Modeler will focus on inputting data into multiple software’s to build residential annual building models and heat loss/gain calculations. One will be responsible for populating custom templates to produce Provincially required building permit forms based on various performance and prescriptive based permit applications. Updating one’s progress within the proprietary workflow management platform is essential to the efficient production of services. The selected candidate will have at minimum high school diploma and one (3) year of Post-Secondary Mechanical Engineering.
We are offering an eight (8) month Internship position with potential for full-time employment once the internship is complete. This opportunity offers $18-$20 per hour and will be for 30-40hrs per week. The selected will work closely with an experienced HVAC Designer and be expected to work from a suitable home-based office. All training will be done virtually. The work schedule is semi-flexible but will generally align with the hours of operation of our clients Monday to Friday.
Duties and responsibilities
Duties of the Modeler-Designer Include:
- Enter data into Hot2000 to build accurate residential energy models
- Enter data into Wrightsoft to build effective heat loss and heat gain reports for proper equipment sizing and load allocation
- Populate software-based templates to produce building permit application forms
Knowledge and skills
Requirements of this Opportunity Include:
- Knowledge of timber frame structures and basic building codes to be considered an asset but not essential
- Must be capable of working independently and unsupervised
- Communicates effectively written and orally to co-workers and associates
- A strong competence of computer software including, Excel, Adobe, Outlook
- Excellent English communication skills (verbal and written)
- Demonstrated professionalism, company-focused, with a strong work ethic
- Process-oriented and the ability to thrive within a workflow whereby the design process is meticulously followed and attention to detail is second to none.
- At minimum one (3) year of Post-Secondary Education
- Must possess a minimum high school diploma
- Studies in Energy Management would be an asset but not required.
- Possession of any HRAI (or equiv) technical courses consider an asset
Certified Energy Advisor would be considered an asset but not mandatory.
Certified HVAC Designer would be considered an asset but not required.
Career-Launcher Internships are funded by the Government of Canada under the Youth Employment Strategy. For program criteria information visit their website.
Qualified interns are:
- Between the ages of 15-30 (inclusive) at the start of the internship
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons granted refugee status in Canada*
- Legally allowed to work according to the relevant provincial and Canadian legislation and regulations
- Available to work for at least six months
- Not previous participants of a federal youth employment program
- Not employees of the hiring employer prior to the start of their internship (does not apply to previous coop students or student interns, although this must be clearly indicated by the employer)
*Refugee protection must be conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Persons awaiting refugee status, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, student visa or work visa, are ineligible to participate in a Youth Employment Strategy initiative.