Join our team of change makers!
At Nyoka Design Labs, we believe we can change the world by transforming the way we traditionally do business. Our team runs a multifaceted clean-tech startup focusing on biotech solutions to environmental challenges, deeply rooted in supporting the microbiome in all possible ways. Beyond the technology, the culture around Nyoka Design Labs has grown to include ideation & co-creation rooted in community empowerment, all to model what a truly circular, sustainable, transition economy could look like.
Our mission is to heal the planet first and foremost, enabled via commerce. Simply said, we are driven by making a meaningful impact through sustainable business practices (and we have fun while doing so!). At Nyoka, we strive to embody the culture of care and justice we’re fighting for in the world through policies like our solidarity support for movement allies and agile collaborative practices. If you have a passion for how innovation, inclusion of diverse groups in tech & sustainable businesses can advance climate, racial and economic justice, this is the job for you.
What is the role?
This role would develop automated solutions for projects within the organization. You will be working closely with the leadership team to create automated, online systems that assist in supervising all daily operations of the company, including IT, marketing and sales. Systems will include strategies to develop our company’s culture in an online environment, developing and implementing business strategies, procedures and business plans needed to enhance company growth. Ultimately, you work will align with Nyoka values and will be integral as we transition to our remote work space. This work is essential to streamlining our small team’s efforts. We are working with SalesForce, Squarespace, and Chatfuel currently to automate our workflows.
Throughout your work term you can expect to receive mentorship from Paige, our CEO, for creating a clear development strategy, and connecting with the rest of the team to ensure your work supports our company goals. You will be working with our interns in the implementation and development of our sales strategy, which involves setting up automated processes, tracking successful workflows, discovering key metrics that lead to sales, and tracking performance. This role involves understanding our company and values and turning that information into an actionable strategy to boost our growth and eliminate inefficiencies in our systems.
Ultimately, this position will give the ideal candidate the opportunity to understand how digital operations can improve our organization. As a startup we have a lot of flexibility in the establishment of new systems so it will be a challenging and rewarding experience where the candidate will have to leverage different technologies. Using technology the person will identify the correct operational metrics that impact financial performance, will align operations with the goals and strategic direction of the business while supporting the marketing team in implementing the overall strategy leading to our next Kickstarter campaign. Finally, you would like to effectively scale your business and drive efficiencies throughout.
The candidate will be mentored every step along the way by our advisor and management team, will receive training via a B-corporation program we are accessing in the fall & will have the opportunity to access entrepreneurial development training.
We believe our work is stronger when it benefits from the experience, knowledge and wisdom of people who have faced systemic barriers. People with disabilities, women, Indigenous peoples, members of racialized groups and members of other historically marginalized communities are encouraged to apply.
If you would like to be considered for employment equity please indicate this on your covering letter by including the statement “I would like to be considered for employment equity.” No further elaboration is necessary, but you are free to add more information if you would like. Where candidates don’t differ significantly in terms of other desired qualifications, priority will be given to those being considered for employment equity.
We thank you for your interest in working with Nyoka, and appreciate the effort required to apply for this position. All candidates will be contacted on a rolling basis until position is filled, whether they are selected for an interview or not.
We, the people of Nyoka Design Labs, respectfully acknowledge that we are living and working on the unceded traditional territory of the K’òmoks First Nation.
Duties and responsibilities
- You will lead the execution of strategies developed with the management team. These will focus on identifying grant and funding strategies as well as developing partnerships with key shareholders.
- You will develop online systems that will lead to our team’s training and ultimately digitization of the organization or operational processes
- You’ll research, understand & communicate the social and environmental attributes of our products and our unique company strengths and position.
- Overseeing marketing initiatives and implementing better business practices.
- Work with our CEO to implement various initiatives to coach employees to optimize their capabilities.
- Assessing and implementing improved processes and new technologies, and collaborating with management regarding the implementation of these improvements.
- You will assist in developing a system and training for organizing and maintaining the workflow after the position has ended
- You will support the implementation of a digital marketing strategy and will work with the digital marketing team throughout the SEO optimization of our website
This is a position with an entrepreneurial focus - as such we are looking for a creative, skilled person with a keen interest in sustainable business and leveraging technologies to optimize business systems.
Knowledge and skills
Your skills + strengths are:
- You have experience setting up automated workflows
- Know how to set up systems for continued use by lay users. Ie. instead of creating a fully custom solution, will work with a service such as webscraper.io to set up processes that non specialists can easily interact with
- Experience working in a team environment
- Experience designing and implementing solutions that ensure security, integrity, scalability and consistency of critical user data
- Problem solving, debugging, and testing skills
- Knowledge of organizational effectiveness and operations management
- Familiarity with business and financial principles
- Leadership ability
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Degree in Business, Operations Management, Marketing & Computer Science or related lived experiences
- knowledge in sustainability, social enterprises, and non-profits
- Passion for working with communities, emerging startups, social innovation, visual design,
- Encompasses strong interpersonal and communication skills; known for working
collaboratively with team members, taking initiative, and exceptional adaptability skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word), Canva, Mailchimp and
Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Open to learning and developing new skills in an entrepreneurial environment
- Proven work experience in similar roles, projects or organizations
- Preferably with a Bachelor's degree in Business or Technology Implementation (Marketing, programming etc.) or Sciences and open to other sources of knowledge and experience
N/A however we are interested in which projects you have completed or are interested in completing
Career-Launcher Internships are funded by the Government of Canada under the Youth Employment and Skills Strategy. For program criteria information visit their website.
Qualified interns are:
- Post-secondary graduates – this is not a requirement for residents of the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut applying for internships in those territories
- Underemployed (employed below their level of education or work part-time)
- Between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the internship
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons granted refugee status in Canada*
- Legally allowed to work according to the relevant provincial and Canadian legislation and regulations
- Available to work for at least six months
- Not employees of the hiring employer prior to the start of their internship (does not apply to previous coop students or student interns)
*Refugee protection must be conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Persons awaiting refugee status, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, student visa or work visa, are ineligible to participate in a Youth Employment and Skills Strategy initiative.