The Box Of Life is an Ottawa based social enterprise start-up that helps people convert food scraps into fertilizer using beautiful, handcrafted vermicomposting systems. Vermicomposting or worm composting, is a natural process where special earthworms eat organic waste and convert it into healthy, living soil. Our Worm Studio is a great option for homeowners to compost in the comfort of their home without the smells, pests or efforts typically associated with outdoor composting systems.
We are a small shop with a huge challenge ahead of us – educating people about indoor composting and changing their behaviour to be more sustainable when it comes to food waste. To do this, we are recruiting a digital marketing and outreach wizard*. We are young and passionate about the environment and want to make a positive difference in the community we live in. If you identify with our values, read on.
*Note: To be a wizard, you must have 3-5 years of experience, unless you're a special one and born with magic in your blood.
Duties and responsibilities
This is a unique opportunity to take ownership of the digital marketing of a sustainability start-up with the opportunity to join our core team at the end of the 6 months.
Some of your duties will be:
- Create marketing strategy with a primary focus on residential customers and a secondary focus on small businesses, schools, and multi-residential condominiums
- Create a social media calendar and take ownership of daily and weekly tasks along with delegating tasks to the team
- Create content on vermicomposting, growing food indoors, and food waste hacks
- Increase brand awareness by brainstorming marketing strategies
- SEO (search engine optimization) and other fun data analytics
- Design simple and minimal graphics that represent the brand
- Create promotional and outreach strategies that engages current customers and attracts
- new clients
- Create a series of beautifully edited “how-to” videos on vermicomposting and our product
- Start a blog and update content regularly
Knowledge and skills
- 3 years of experience - no recent graduates please as we cannot provide any mentorship
- You are truly passionate about the environment and climate change and want to put your skills to use at a nimble start-up in the sustainability sector
- A basic understanding of composting and food systems is preferred. If you have a worm bin at home, you get bonus points.
- Video recording and editing experience
- Graphic design experience
- A minimal, clean design philosophy
- French fluency is an asset
- Experience running social media campaigns using platforms such as Hootesuite
- Must have your own laptop or home computer for this role
A marketing degree is preferred. Bonus points if you have marketing + urban composting/agriculture experience.
Career-Launcher Internships are funded by the Government of Canada under the Youth Employment Strategy. For program criteria information visit their website.
Qualified interns are:
- Post-secondary students and graduates
- No more than 30 years of age at the start of the internship
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons granted refugee status in Canada*
- Legally allowed to work according to the relevant provincial and Canadian legislation and regulations
- Available to work for at least six months
- Not previous participants of a federal youth employment program
- Not employees of the hiring employer prior to the start of their internship (does not apply to previous coop students or student interns)
*Refugee protection must be conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Persons awaiting refugee status, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, student visa or work visa, are ineligible to participate in a Youth Employment Strategy initiative.