The Box Of Life is an Ottawa based social enterprise start-up that helps people convert food scraps into fertilizer using beautiful, handcrafted vermicomposting systems. Vermicomposting or worm composting, is a natural process where special earthworms eat organic waste and convert it into healthy, living soil. Our Worm Studio is a great option for homeowners to compost in the comfort of their home without the smells, pests or efforts typically associated with outdoor composting systems.
This is a unique opportunity to take ownership of the digital marketing of a sustainability start-up with the opportunity to join our core team at the end of the internship. We are a small shop with a huge challenge ahead of us — educating people about indoor composting and changing their behaviour to be more sustainable when it comes to food waste. To do this, we are recruiting a digital marketing and outreach wizard. We are young and passionate about the environment and want to make a positive difference in the community we live in.
Duties and responsibilities
- Create marketing strategy with a primary focus on residential customers and a secondary focus on small businesses, schools, and multi-residential condominiums
- Create a social media calendar and take ownership of daily and weekly tasks along with delegating tasks to the team
- Create content on vermicomposting, growing food indoors, and food waste hacks
- Increase brand awareness by brainstorming marketing strategies
- SEO (search engine optimization) and other fun data analytics
- Design simple and minimal graphics that represent the brand
- Create promotional and outreach strategies that engages current customers and attracts
- new clients
- Create a series of beautifully edited “how-to” videos on vermicomposting and our product
- Start a blog and update content regularly
Knowledge and skills
- You are truly passionate about the environment and climate change and want to put your skills to use at a nimble start-up in the sustainability sector
- A basic understanding of composting and food systems is preferred. If you have a worm bin at home, you get bonus points.
- Video recording and editing experience
- Graphic design experience
- A minimal, clean design philosophy
- French fluency is an asset
- Experience running social media campaigns using platforms such as Hootesuite
- Must have your own laptop or home computer for this role
A marketing degree is preferred. Bonus points if you have marketing + urban composting/agriculture experience.
Qualified interns are:
- Between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the internship
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons granted refugee status in Canada1
- Legally allowed to work according to the relevant provincial and Canadian legislation and regulations
- Available to participate in an ImpAct internship for a flexible duration of up to 6 months by March 1, 2021
- Not employees of the hiring employer prior to the start of their internship (does not apply to previous coop students or student interns, although this must be clearly indicated by the employer)
1Refugee protection must be conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Persons awaiting refugee status, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, student visa or work visa, are ineligible to participate in a Youth Employment Strategy initiative.