We are starting a commercial 1800 sq ft Aquaponic greenhouse business operating at full production year round in the Vancouver Island area of BC. Aquaponics is a symbiosis of AQUACULTURE and HYDROPONICS. The fish supply the nutrients for the plants and the plants clean the water for the fish. This is an ecosystem that closely mimics the natural world. Aquaponics is a new and innovative technology that greatly reduces the impact of agriculture on the environment.
- Because the water is entirely recirculated, the water consumption is miniscule compared to soil grown crops.
- Provides a controlled environment allowing vastly reducing the need for pesticide and herbicide use.
- Better than ORGANIC growing conditions.
- The heated and controlled environment allows year round production.
- The fish waste provides the required nutrients eliminating the need for chemical fertilizers.
- It provides for more production in less footprint than conventional agriculture.
- There is less labour in the production process due to ease of planting/harvesting and no need for weeding.
- Faster growth rate due to more readily available nutrients in the water.
- Locally produced thus reducing the environmental impact of transportation and storage of produce.
- Also because of the local production, produce can be much fresher.
We will be incorporating and experimenting with a number of novel technologies that will address some emerging environmental issues.
- Sustainable and locally grown fish feed.
- Organics waste recycling.
- Micro co-generator for heat and electricity.
- Waste Vegetable Oil Recycling.
Duties and responsibilities
coordinate and perform daily greenhouse activities:
- planting and harvesting
- pest and disease management.
- water quality and nutrient management.
- manage planting schedule according to market potential.
- fish husbandry as required: breeding, feeding, monitoring, harvesting.
- growing and preparing fish feed: vermiculture, fodder.
- recycling operations as required: waste vegetable oil, organic wastes.
- delivery and pickup as required.
management duties as required:
- financial planning, budgeting, and forecasting
- planning and implementing marketing strategies
Knowledge and skills
aquaculture best practices
plant pest and disease management
post-secondary student or graduate
Career-Launcher Internships are funded by the Government of Canada under the Youth Employment Strategy. For program criteria information visit their website.
Qualified interns are:
- Post-secondary students and graduates
- No more than 30 years of age at the start of the internship
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons granted refugee status in Canada*
- Legally allowed to work according to the relevant provincial and Canadian legislation and regulations
- Available to work for at least six months
- Not previous participants of a federal youth employment program
- Not employees of the hiring employer prior to the start of their internship (does not apply to previous coop students or student interns)
*Refugee protection must be conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Persons awaiting refugee status, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, student visa or work visa, are ineligible to participate in a Youth Employment Strategy initiative.