The Analytical Chemist will specialize in analyzing chemical substances as well as perform chemometrics. They should have a strong background in using complex equipment that may include spectroscopy, chromatography, electrophoresis, and mass spectrometry to test and quantify samples for the purpose of integration into Artificial Intelligence frameworks. This individual will work closely with Hardware Designers, Data Scientists, and Business Analysts to build real world solutions for the Food industry.
Savormetrics Inc. is an industry leader in rapid testing technology and Artificial Intelligence. Our sensing devices are used to detect quality characteristics in food both biophysical and biochemical. Our software applications make our devices smarter and easier to use while providing intelligence to address customers’ specific needs. We are a creative company that run many innovative projects to develop technologies that do not exist yet. We promote continuous learning in a dynamic and flexible work environment. More importantly, we set visionary goals, and we are passionate about building industry defining, impactful products for the marketplace.
Duties and responsibilities
The Analytical Chemist is responsible for:
• Application of various analytical testing techniques that may include microscopy, spectroscopy, UV/Vis, FT-IR, NIR, chromatography (HPLC and GC) and traditional wet chemistry techniques,
• Strong background with chemometrics and multivariate modeling across various spectroscopic techniques, including Infrared IR and Raman,
• Perform analytical method development & validation,
• Design sampling protocols,
• Prepare standards, reagents, and solvents for experiments,
• Perform chemical extractions in accordance to accepted protocols,
• Software expertise in Python, MATLAB, and other similar languages,
• Work with laboratory instrument vendors as needed to maintain instruments in a validated state.
• Conduct laboratory calibrations and perform stability testing,
• Provide analytical testing strategies to solve real-world problems related to the Food industry,
• Design and execute experimental procedures, including qualitative and quantitative testing of complex samples,
• Validate and troubleshoot analytical methods,
• Participate in Product Development brainstorm sessions,
• Communicate effectively in both written and oral presentations which may include emails, technical reports and PowerPoint presentations.
• Maintain excellent laboratory behavior which includes but not limited to chemical hygiene and all EHS requirements,
• Comply with and complete all required internal and external training in a timely manner as well as maintain complete and accurate training records,
• Fulfil additional work-related duties as required / assigned,
• Promote the core values of Savormetrics.
Knowledge and skills
• Demonstrate entrepreneurial aptitude,
• Passionate learner,
• Ability to adapt and perform in a fast-paced and fluid environment of a start-up,
• Possess technical aptitude and analytical abilities,
• Excellent interpersonal skills,
• Highly professional communicator, oral and written,
• Ability to multi task effectively,
• Eager to learn and contribute in a team setting.
• Experience with analytical test method development and validation,
• Expertise with standard laboratory practices and safety,
• Proven experience utilizing sound scientific principles to provide innovative solutions to complex problems in analytical chemistry,
• Advanced experience in using analytical instrumentation which include: GC-MS, HPLC, UV-Vis, FT-IR, etc.
• Expertise in wet chemistry techniques,
• Experience in Python and MATLAB and other similar software languages.
• Advanced skills in chemometrics and mathematical modeling while working with large data sets.
• Initiative and independence – the ability to take appropriate action and anticipate team needs,
• Objectivity, integrity – the ability to seek and weigh opinions and evidence – compromising where necessary on ways and means but not on principles or goals,
• Professionalism – operate at the highest level of professionalism with colleagues, clients and all other stakeholders,
• Problem solving - ability to see multiple ways of tackling a problem and think “outside of the box”,
• Diplomacy and tact – the ability to deal effectively with colleagues and stakeholders,
• Leadership potential – capacity and aptitude for leading a team, taking charge and motivating team members,
• High energy –capacity to work effectively in a rapid pace, tight deadline ad hoc work environment,
• Team-player – is flexible and enjoys working in a team environment,
• Positive attitude,
• Result driven,
• Entrepreneurial spirit.
• Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degree in Chemistry, Engineering.
• 5+ years work experience in Pharmaceutical, Food, or related industries.