- Love our oceans and want to get kids excited about our oceans?
- Want to help make the world a better place?
- Think it’s important to connect kids to nature?
- Believe that one person can make a big difference in the world, and together, we can do so much more?
Then working with Sea Smart is perfect for you!
Sea Smart is looking for a dynamic changemaker to join our team as an Environmental Programs Coordinator. Sea Smart has been developing and delivering high impact student, teacher and community programming to thousands of participants across Metro Vancouver. We are looking for someone who has passion and phenomenal organizational skills to coordinate our environmental education programs and initiatives.
This is a full-time position that starts on January 2, 2019. Please submit your application by December 7, 2018. We will review applications as we receive them, so it is best to apply as soon as possible.
This job is for you if you want to…
- Be part of a team and organization dedicated to inspiring and empowering youth to be environmental champions
- Work in a dynamic, creative, inclusive environment where your ideas, work, and contributions make a difference
- Actively make a difference both behind the scenes and with on-the-ground implementation
- Develop professionally and evolve personally
About Sea Smart
Sea Smart delivers innovative, engaging education programs based on science and current ocean issues to empower youth to be environmental champions in Metro Vancouver.
Sea Smart uses fun, hands-on games and activities to teach youth in Kindergarten to Grade 12 about current issues impacting our oceans and get them brainstorming solutions in our school workshops, after school programs, and summer camps. Created by marine biologist Dr. Elaine Leung, Sea Smart helps youth understand the role they play in making the world a better place, while building essential life skills such as creative thinking, personal awareness, and social responsibility.
No oceans, no us. Sea Smart’s innovative curriculum teaches youth about ocean issues with a solutions-based approach that is much needed in this day and age when environmental problems are overwhelming and it is easy to lose hope.
We are looking for an Environmental Programs Coordinator to aid in Sea Smart’s core goals of science, sustainability, and environmental education. The main responsibility is to coordinate programs and initiatives that focus on delivering science-based curriculum about environmental and climate change issues that impact our oceans. This includes coordinating administrative duties and office procedures related to environmental education programs to ensure efficiency and impact across Sea Smart’s environmental initiatives. The key skills we require are dedication, strong initiative, very high attention to detail, and exceptional organizational skills.
Ultimately, the Environmental Programs Coordinator should be able to ensure the smooth running of Sea Smart's environmental education programs and initiatives. In addition, they will be able to help promote ocean conservation messaging to community and corporate connections through the development of innovative technology to deliver environmental messaging. Bringing experience and knowledge in communications, program coordination and/or education is ideal, along with key skills to co-create a collaborative and competent team.
Tâches et responsabilités
Under the guidance of the Executive Director, the Environmental Programs Coordinator responsibilities include:
- Impact Metrics
- Develop key performance indicators to measure environmental impact and behavioral change resulting from environmental education programs
- Develop innovative systems to track metrics of environmental education programs
- Evaluate the efficacy of environmental education programs based on tracking metrics
- Provide general support to teachers, students, parents, and community partners
- Plan and coordinate Sea Smart events, fundraising, and community outreach
- Collaborate with partners to develop innovative technology to deliver environmental messaging
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with community and corporate partners in various sectors
- Research and apply for grants related to STEM and environmental education
- Researching, designing, and implementing environmental education materials
- Share updates from environmental education programs and environmental issues on social media
- Ensuring filing systems are maintained and current
- Review and update policies
- Human resources
- Recruit, train, and onboard environmental education staff
- Develop onboarding procedures
- Schedule staff
- Perform other duties as requested by the Executive Director
Connaissances et compétences
- Proven experience as a Programs Coordinator or Office Manager
- Knowledge of programs coordinator and office administrator responsibilities, systems and procedures
- Proficiency in MS Office and Google Drive
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multitask and prioritize work
- High attention to detail and creative problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven leadership skills and exceptional teamwork abilities
- Strong organizational and planning skills in a fast-paced environment
- A creative mind with the ability to suggest improvements
- Clear criminal record check for the vulnerable sector within the last five years or ability to obtain and pass a clear criminal record check
- Minimum emergency first aid and CPR C level certification within last three years
- Having regular access to a reliable vehicle and valid driver’s license is highly desired but not required; if applicable, please highlight your vehicle access in your cover letter
Minimum Bachelor’s degree with strong background in programs coordination and office administration